Thursday, May 10, 2012

Comendeared by the policia

Its a warm clear morning in the Dominican Republic. The clock hit  7 am and the boats that are fishing today have already departed. The winds are nil and the seas are flat calm. Its going to be a hot one out on the rip today.
 I am sitting in a chair on the dock watching the marina slowly come alive. Kyle has the boat looking nice. The teak is all clean and she is shining pretty good this morning as I sit here on the dock
For the  last week I was back in the states. I spent my time taking care of business that I have neglected by being out of the the country for the last two months. But it was not all business. I got to spend some good time with my kids going out on my boat and doing a little diving with them. But  more importantly I spent some good quality time with Rudder the Super Beagle. He was happy to have me home but very sad to see me leave.
Blue Marlin tend to feed best around the full moon. Or at least they bite better. One reason is that they ( like everything else in the ocean ) spawn around the full moon. And as we all know, after a full night of spawning, there is nothing better than eating as many tunas as you can to get your energy back.  Another reason is that the food they are feeding on spawns and aggregates more densely around the full moon as well. I think the fish here are feeding on the bait aggregations as opposed to spawning. Most all of the Blues we catch here are smaller Males. Female blue marlin tend to be larger. I think the smaller males are bunched up here feeding on small tunas as they ready for the real spawning season over the next few months. During that time the Larger females will begin to move to the areas north of the DR , Puerto Rico and be most prominent north of St Thomas. The smaller males will also take up station in that same area hoping to "get lucky".  Heck I may have it all wrong but from what I have seen and read, it all seems to make sense. ( kinda)
There were two more boats that arrived here in Casa De Campo over the last week while I was gone. The  Therapy, and a 61 viking just arrived yesterday.
The Therapy the Due Course and the Betsy are all out fishing this morning. The last week has brought good numbers of fish. Some numbers that stick out are 4 for 7 and 8 for 9 and 6 for 8. That's good blue marlin fishing. When I say 6 for 8. What I mean is that the boat caught 6 blue marlin out of the 8 fish that actually came up and bit a bait. So another way to say it would be that the boat caught 6 blue marlin out of the 8 blues that the boat had shots at. ( or 6 for 8).
Kyle picked me up at the airport last night. When I saw him as I came out of the customs area he had a beer in his hand. He let me know I was driving back to CDC. He was still excited from the drive to pick me up.  On the way to the airport, he was sitting at an intersection being bombarded by window washers. He had just shooed them away when a police man walked up and tapped on the window. Kyle speaks very little spanish and normally asks for a shoe dipped in crap when ordering dinner, so when the cop started speaking to him, he thought he was in trouble for something. The next thing he knew, the cop waved over three more policemen. They all jumped into the car. Kyle was stunned but soon figured out that they wanted him to take them to the next town on the way to Santo Domingo. Apparently they had all just got done working for the day and wanted a ride home.  It was a pretty weird experience for him. He stayed on the main highway and when the cops said to turn off the road because the town they wanted to go to was 5 miles to to the left, Kyle refused. He probably told them in his Spanish that " No me no left go, I go to tree to buy eggs" they begrudgingly got out at the next intersection and sent him on his way. Gotta love the DR.
Looking forward to the boss coming in this week and starting to put some blue marlin numbers for ourselves.

No comments: