Sunday, February 23, 2014

Carnaval!!! lots of pics

Canaval!!!!!!!!!
Experiencing local culture is a big part of what I enjoy about traveling to foreign places. Yesterday was a great cultural experience.  Carnaval ( pronounced CarnAVal ) was a big event here in Casa De Campo last night. It was basically a big parade consisting of different ethnical themes from the Dominican Republics history.  The parade was full of colorful head dresses and outlandish outfits. I know very little about the history or meaning of most of the outfits, but the themes seemed to be replicating ethnic historical times from the Dominican Republics history which is steeped in sugar cane. The parade was extremely well done and it was a party for the visual senses.  I am not sure of the meaning behind all the men dressed as women, but they all had really big butts and extra large boobs…. And beards!!!!!!!!!  I was really impressed with the head dresses, which were elaborate and extremely detailed. Each troop of paraders marched to a different beat and danced their way through the marinas promenade to the delight of the throngs of people watching.
Kids love a parade
Yes I am a Kid when it comes to parades. As I always say " grow old but never grow up".  I stood there grinning the entire parade. I travel quite a bit and I love the fact that no mater the country, or region of the world I am in, little kids are the same. I watched the children here yesterday, all wide eyed and excited as the parade went by. As the funnier marchers went past the kids seemed to push forward. then as the scarier marchers pushed by with their monster head dresses the kids would cower a bit behind their mothers. I watched as one kid motioned to her mother that she could feel the drum beats in her stomach as the drum corp rumbled past. Then the marchers wielding 20 foot long Bull whips came through. The sound of the whips cracking in the air even had a few adults hiding behind their kids as the whips slung through the air and cracked like big fireworks going off.
Vilma In command and in control of the event. 
The boss comes in on Tuesday, Tyler and I are excited to begin our fishing season. No boats have really fished over the past few days as the weather has been quite windy. The same weather has kept quite a few boats from arriving here. There are boats sitting in the Turks, the Bahamas and the states all waiting for the weather window that is opening up tomorrow. It will be exciting to have even more friends show up here.
Yep lots of men dressed as big butt big boob women
 Congrats to Vilma and Jesmine for organizing this big event.
 I normally caption all the pics, but there are just to many


Me and one of the marchers























































No comments: