Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A view for the minds eye from my old blue chair on the dock

I was sitting on the dock last night as the sun went down and I wished that I could share it with everyone. I sat behind the boat at A&B marina and watched the day come to an end around me. As the heat of the day subsided, the evening breeze wafted across the harbor still bustling with activity. Across from where I sat , some musician at Schooner Wharf was singing an old James Taylor song. The general clatter of noise beyond that was that of tourist dining at the restaurants lining the harbor. There was the occasional clang of the brass bell ringing from the bar at Conch Republic as some well served patron tossed in a good tip. The lights around the marinas lining the bight ( harbor) Always seem brightest just as the sun fades. From all directions the scene is busy and bustling yet very laid back. Soon after the sun disappeared and the stars began to show through the clouds, The old schooners and tall ships loaded with tourist began to return to Schooner Wharf from their evenings sunset cruise. These majestic old ladies parade around the harbor day and night and if one can just close their eyes to all the lights and modern cacophony, you can picture Key West of years gone by When the Harbor was full of these grand old ships. By 9 pm the harbor is still going strong. The water front is busy with noisy tourist and partiers. There were a few Thunderstorms left over from the day time out over the gulf stream that put on one hell of a light show off in the distance. Thunderstorms at night are always so beautiful on the water.
In stark contrast to the evening  before, This morning is quiet. The sun is not quite up yet. It is showing its rays over the eastern horizon. The Thunderstorms from last night are now to the west and the rumble of thunder coming from the Marqueses islands as well as the flashes in the sky tell me its summertime in the Keys. The bustling waterfront of last night has gone quiet. Except for the few party revelers that are apparently winding down their night at Schooner Wharfs bar. Replacing the sailing ships of last night are a few charter boats that are heading out to ply the waters.  The sun is now breaking the horizon to the east. There is a touch more breeze today that yesterday, but it does nothing to quell the heat. Instead it just feels like warm waves blowing across me as I sit here. A few more sips of coffee and the harbor is springing to life. Crews of all the snorkeling boats are busy preping their gear for the days load of tourists. There are a few small dingys coming in from the anchorage outside the marina carrying their owners to work for the day.  The coast Guard stations PA system is now pumping out the mornings bugle song signaling the flag going up. The orange of the sky to the east has given way to a silverfish blue and i light shower just blew over me. Not enough to make me get up out of my old blue chair though. The scene never changes mush here, but it is still one that I wish I could share with everyone.

Happy Birthday to My Deck hand Tyler.

No comments: